To Keto or Not to Keto
If you are looking for a short term, pound busting results, keep reading. The #keto diet uses clean healthy fats to replace carbs. Your liver will produce ketones from fats in foods rather than glucose from sugar in foods. With the absence of glucose, ketones become the energy source and will also metabolize stored fat cells as well. Personally, I used these tips on myself and saw results of losing about 30 pounds over the course of 6 weeks. After that, I found it hard to keep my body in Ketosis any further.
You may see friends you follow posting pictures of a plate full of bacon and big ole' steak on a plate acting like they are doing a favor to their body. Once the meat sweats kick in and they take their first donkey dump that unloads that pile of rotten gut beef they may lose a few pounds, but in an unsustainable lifestyle. Don't be fooled...there's a healthier way
Suggested nutrition guidelines:
only 30% of your total fat should be protein and less than 20g a day can be carbs to maintain ketosis. A simple example of this: a typical burger is made of 80% #protein and 20% fat. You can see that ketosis is just the opposite ration. So consuming lots of bacon #cheeseburgers and thick steaks aren’t ideal, but they are fatty.
Where are carbs hiding?
High glycemic foods not only have a lot of carbs, but they are carbs that are absorbed quickly and should be avoided. You’ll need to nearly eliminate the following:
· Bread & Tortillas
· Sugar, sugar added and anything without a zero-calorie sweetener. Stevia is OK
· Pasta, rice, Asian noodles
· Potatoes, Watermelon, Corn, Carrots, Parsnips, Fruit Juices especially orange juice
· #Avocado, Avocado Oil
· Coconut Cream, Coconut Milk, Refined & Unrefined #CoconutOil
· Nuts, Cashews, Walnuts, Peanuts
Heavy Whipping Cream, butter
Red meat, ground beef has added fat for tenderness and flavor
Grocery store steaks are typically very low marbling (the white fat in between the red muscle fibers) which is bad for many reasons, but the steaks appear bright red which help sales. Marbling is desirable for flavor and tenderness
Salmon, Tuna Belly, Shrimp
Keto Friendly Fruits and Vegetables
· Blueberries, raspberries, black berries and strawberries are low in natural sugar
· Apples are also typically keto friendly in moderation
· Spinach, lettuce’s like romaine, iceberg, arugula, are safe, even in large portions
· Cucumbers, chiles, onions, garlic, green onions & herbs are safe and add lots of flavor
· Avocado, Avocado, Avocado and Avocado
· Nuts…. Awwwwwe NUTS! All good.
You may ask where to start…
1. Don’t stop drinking #coffee, at Splenda and half & half or heavy cream instead of typical sugar. I drank sugar-free red bull every day on Keto without a problem.
2. Read my other blogs along with this and focus on the glycemic index information
3. You don’t have to cut out 100% of your #carbs the first day. Easy does it
4. Buy the keto strips from CVS, Walgreens or the Grocery Story Pharmacy Section
5. Day 2 or 3 eliminate the rest of the carbs to achieve #ketosis. You will lose weight by reducing carbs without eliminating them, but #Keto will help do that faster
6. A sit up or two might help. #Exercising will help draw out those stored fat cells as your body looks for more energy sources.
7. Remove the #snacks and junk from your house that are likely to tempt you to cheat. Otherwise, put them in a different closet, a box, or on some ex-boyfriends door step that you wouldn’t care gained a few pounds.
8. #Mealprep so you have food ready, even #healthy snacks, so you don’t go to cheat meals because you’re hungry and it’s easier.
Add heavy cream or coconut cream to liquid eggs before cooking
Blueberry Avocado #Smoothie with almond milk and avocado or coconut #MCT oil
Broccoli & breakfast sausage egg #frittata
Add heavy cream or coconut cream, bake in a Teflon pan in the oven for 10-15 minutes
Drizzle with avocado or coconut oil before inhaling
Lunch & Dinner
Burger Patty, #Salad, red wine vinegar, avocado oil, shredded cheddar or feta cheese
Ground Turkey & Mushroom lettuce wraps
Add pinto beans, cilantro, chiles, cumin
Sauteed garlic, onions, broccoli, basil, cannellini beans, #chicken or vegetable broth, chili flakes, Parmesan cheese
Chicken Thigh Meat
Simmered with onions, chorizo, coconut cream, cilantro, chopped fresh tomatoes